- Three years as web editor at Chicago Tribune, five years as copy editor at Chicago Sun-Times
- Extensive international experience, with reporting from Canada, Spain, Argentina, Uruguay and Japan
- Publication of book “Will It Waffle?” with launch featured on “Good Morning America”
- Adjunct teaching experience at undergraduate and graduate level
- Fluency in Spanish, familiarity with Omniture, InDesign and Final Cut Pro.
- Bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism
Freelance writer, editor (8 years)
Projects have included:
- Creating hit blog waffleizer.com and writing cookbook “Will It Waffle?” from Workman Publishing. Book featured on “Good Morning America” and written up in the New York Times, People and Entertainment Weekly. Second cookbook due out in spring 2017.
- Writing food and travel pieces on Uruguay, Argentina and Japan for major U.S. media outlets, including the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post.
ChicagoTribune.com (3 years)
Digital news editor
- Updated home page and determined story placement on site with more than 120 million monthly page views. Hooked readers by crafting headlines, writing summaries, creating photo galleries and selecting videos.
- Managed social media profile by posting breaking news to Facebook page and to Twitter account.
- Analyzed site performance and managed SEO to meet traffic goals.
Northwestern University (2 years)
- Led 10-week graduate and undergraduate classes of 12 to 18 students, with topics including news judgment, social media, editing strategies, grammar, punctuation and style.
- Evaluated students and provided feedback on exercises and exams.
- Quality of teaching and feedback consistently rated “high” or “very high” in anonymous student surveys.
Chicago Sun-Times (5 years)
- Edited news stories by correcting style, grammar, spelling, accuracy and content.
- Signed off on pages before they were sent to press.
- Medill School of Journalism, bachelor’s and master’s